Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Work Days

Almost every day of the week, for work, a group of 7 of us travel around the island or to nearby islands (by boat) to do health clinics in the villages. It has been unreal. Not only because this place has to be one of the most beautiful in the world but also because the people I am working with are really funny, friendly, and work and play equally hard.

Yesterday we were driving to the other side of the island (on a single lane sand/mud road) when we hit a road block. There was giant digger-truck in the middle of the road digging a trench (for better water flow) on both sides of the road. . . meaning we couldn’t get past. So instead of hanging their heads my co-workers high-fived and turned the truck around. They went back to a village we already visited. They handed out “plaster” or band aids and then spent a few hours throwing sticks at a fruit tree (the fruit is called is Wee). After they successfully filled about 5 buckets we sat on the beach and ate our collection.

NOTE: I did not eat the Wee. It turns out – I’m allergic. I ate some last week. And now my lips look like Angelina Jolie.

And today we finished a clinic in one village and on the way to the next we stopped on the side of the road and picked two big bags of papaya. Then we went to the beach and ate until we couldn’t eat anymore. Then we trekked through the jungle in search of a hot water spring and collected coconuts on the way out. Then we headed to the second village where we provided health services for about 40 people.

Tomorrow we are going to an island that is about 1 hour away by fiberglass boat. My co-workers say it has an amazing reef. If we finish up early we will snorkel around.

All in a day’s work.

(and just to put in a plug for myself - I usually work on the database in the evenings. . . so I really AM doing what I came out here to do)

No comments:

Post a Comment